Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

Here is probably my sad attempt at doing a weekly post! I will be posting a recipe every Tuesday(I hope!) that we have made & really liked. I've mentioned that we like to cook & try new recipes. This doesn't always mean that our kids have liked everything but they are usually pretty good about trying the new menu items. I know this probably sounds too organized for some but I make weekly menus. I usually start of on Mondays(sometimes Tuesdays) & put down what I'm going to make every night. This also means that from time to time we need to swap nights or scratch it all together, especially if I forget an item or to take something out of the freezer for that night. Doing the menus was a way for us to budget our groceries. I know what most meals will cost us & I mix & match them to fit our budget or what we have in the pantry. Once I got going, I didn't know how to function without the menus. Okay, enough jabber! Here's the 1st recipe(my kids' recent favorite)

Toasted Turkey & Smoked Mozzarella Subs

3 tablespoons EVOO(extra virgin olive oil)
6 garlic cloves(minced)-I buy garlic already minced in a jar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cans diced tomatoes, drained(14.5 oz)
2/3 cup basil pesto(I don't make my own, I buy the jar)
salt & pepper
4 sub rolls
1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced deli turkey
12 ounces sliced smoked mozzarella(I used smoked provolone)

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Heat oil, garlic, & pepper flakes in large skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes & cook until mixture is dry, about 10 minutes.(I used our immersion blender after this was cooked since the kids hate tomato chunks) Season with salt & pepper to taste.

2. Spread pesto inside each roll, then layer with turkey, tomato mixture, & cheese. Place sandwiches on baking sheet & bake until edges of bread are golden & cheese begins to melt, about 5 minutes. Serve!!


So there you are! This is certainly an easier recipe that we've done but the kids all loved it! This can literally be done in 20 minutes from start to finish! I'd love to hear back from anyone who tried these what you thought! Oh, and this recipe comes from "The Best Simple Recipes" by America's Test Kitchen. Brian works for Fisher & Paykel Appliances & America's Test Kitchen uses all of their appliances on their show. We got this cookbook with a challenge to make as many recipes out of it & submit pictures to win 10 more cookbooks. If they are anything like this cookbook, I will never run out of new things to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment