Thursday, October 13, 2011

Our Civic Duty

This past week I was able to exercise 1 of our most precious gifts of living in a free country & reported for jury duty. While I say it that way, I was NOT thrilled to get that summons! It seems to happen at the most inconvenient times. This was true for me this week. So much going on & of Brian was going out of the country. Well, Canada, but that still counts, right?? The other problem was that it was going to be an hour away & I would have to leave before the kids got on the bus. I had several meetings this week that I really felt I needed to be at & of course I was having to miss work. But I'm sure everyone there had the same issues & problems with schedules that I did so I just had to make the best of it.

As it turns out, I found it fascinating!! Sure, some things were completely boring & I felt my eyelids starting to get heavy because I'm not used to sitting down for long periods of time without having someone need me to get them a drink or wipe their back side. We were also told that it was going to be a shorter trial & that there were some longer ones coming up so if we didn't get chosen for this one, we could potentially be called back for the others. So, 3 hours & 3 witnesses into the trial, the judge called a recess. We were given a light snack & told to line up to report back in. We then see the judge come in the room & we wondered what was going on. He told us that we were no longer needed & he had declared a mistrial. There was some part of one of the witnesses testimony that the judge had ruled on earlier that he couldn't say & he evidently said it. I didn't hear it but others did & wondered why he was able to lable the defendant that way. So now they start over with jury selection & re-try the case. I know it makes my life easier but part of me was disappointed to not follow through the remainder of the case.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you ever have a chance to serve in the way of being a potential juror, please take that right seriously. I was dreading having to do it but once I was there & saw how the process works, it made me proud to be able to take part in something that so many others across the world don't have the ability to do. Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment