Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What to Do When....

...not everyone agrees with your decision to adopt. This post probably should be a pleading for help from the veterans out there who know exactly what to say & do when this happens. But yes, we have faced it & probably have not handled it like we should. Not everyone agrees or understands this calling. Some people have distanced themselves from us. Some have been down right angry. Others, while maybe not understanding at first have asked questions to the point that they now understand why. We knew that when we began, we would encounter this. Why in the world would a couple with 4 children set out to adopt yet another? Don't we have enough on our plate? Isn't adoption just for those who can't have children or can't have anymore? Obviously,we disagree & so do many families who have adopted! There needs to be all types of families ready to step up but that doesn't mean it will always be easy. But how do you respond to those people that come right out & tell you that what you are doing is wrong? Well, you try to educate them. But as I have learned, most of the people that speak up in opposition, just can't grasp what it means to put yourself & your wants aside to do this. Honestly, at this point, I don't care & my skin is getting thicker & thicker with each day. I choose to follow my God & His calling on my life. Not what others want or expect of us. Sometimes that means that things can't remain the same with people that you know. We surely never set out to push people away but I guess once you make yourselves "different" & a "different looking" family, people won't always accept you. Unfortunately, it can be those that you thought were the closest to you. People who you thought would be in your corner no matter what & yet they disappoint you by telling you that this can't be worth it. Oh, but I can tell you even at this point, it is SOOO worth it. Even if this particular child doesn't end up in our arms, we have seen that the need for good homes for these children is so great that it blows my mind. They need love, they need stability & most importantly they need to know the love of Christ! Any amount of earthly sacrifice that we make is worth it to have a child of God know how much he/she is loved by our Savior. My biggest joy is already picturing me looking into our son/daughter's face & telling her/him was worth every tear, every hour worked, every paper filled out because God thinks he/she is worth it.


I have just started yet another Beth Moore Bible study & I'm on my first week of lessons. Needless to say, right after an encounter with hearing some negativity in regards to our adoption, this quote was written in the sidelines to the page I flipped open to & spoke directly to my heart!

"We must choose this day- and every day- whom we will serve."

Well, I choose my Lord! Enough said!

1 comment: